Maryland Attorneys Assert Creditors' Rights
Skilled lawyers assist businesses in the Frederick area in recovering debts
Your business's bottom line depends on being paid for the goods or services you provide. When those payments are late or debtors default, your company's ability to continue operating is compromised. It's important in these circumstances to know your legal options: you do not have to simply absorb loss without first seeking the opportunity to mitigate and minimize it. Offutt, Horman, Burdette & May, PA represents creditors in the Frederick area and throughout Maryland seeking to recover what they're owed in commercial collections and bankruptcy cases. When you retain our services, you can count on us to assert your rights under the law, through settlements or court, to hold debtors accountable.
Maryland advocates represent your rights in bankruptcy actions
Businesses look to us for guidance and assistance in a range of areas, including bankruptcy actions. We will assert your rights against the risk of total loss through a customer’s bankruptcy. Your options include:
- Asserting an "administrative expense" priority claim for goods received by the bankrupt customer within 20 days of a bankruptcy filing.
- Asserting a "reclamation claim" for goods delivered to an insolvent customer within the 45 days before a bankruptcy filing.
- Asserting your rights as a "lien holder" with regard to special classifications of supplies.
- Asserting your right to compensation as an "essential supplier" or "critical vendor."
- Pursuing priority litigation versus other lien holders including secured creditors, taxing authorities and landlords.
- Seeking relief from an automatic stay if it can be shown that a debtor is committing fraud or acting in bad faith.
While bankruptcy provides a legal means of relief for debtors, it does not mean creditors give up their rights in the process. We will represent your rights as a creditor in bankruptcy actions.
Knowledgeable advisers assist with commercial collections
At Offutt, Horman, Burdette & May, PA, we also represent commercial and retail clients throughout Maryland by offering strong legal counsel for:
- Commercial collections — We represent small and large businesses, contractors, subcontractors, commercial landlords and equipment lessors in collecting secured and unsecured commercial debt.
- Loan collections — Our attorneys assist banks, savings and loans, credit unions and other lenders in collecting loan payments.
- Construction collections — We help with the filing and enforcement of mechanic’s lien claims and labor and material payment bond claims.
- Replevins — Our firm assists lessors and other secured creditors in repossession and recovery of collateral from defaulting debtors.
- Litigation — We handle debt collection civil actions in state and federal courts and before alternative dispute resolution forums such as arbitration and mediation, and provide skilled defense against debtor counterclaims.
If your business needs legal help recovering debt in any of these areas, contact us to learn how we may be able to get you the payments you're owed.
Contact an experienced Maryland attorney to assert your rights as a creditor
If you are seeking to recover debt in Maryland, Offutt, Horman, Burdette & May, PA can assert your rights and outline your options for protecting your business's bottom line. Call us at 301-662-8248 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation at our Frederick office.